Thursday, February 23, 2006

February Happenings

Almost the end of February so I'll do a recap. I wrote about the SDV and the virus going around the daycare center. Some other things we did this month and other happenings:

R's basketball is almost over. Thank god. He was put on a really horrible team this season. I'll put it this way.... I believe the teams were divided up racially and ethnically. I had no problem with the kids (who were all either Spanish or Indian) but R was the only kid who wasn't. Him and another little boy with the last name Diaz! See where I'm coming from here? I think they saw our last name and didn't know what to make of it so they put him on that team. His coach was very nice (Juan) but he shouldn't have been coaching such young kids. He was not a good coach for R's age group. I wrote a really long letter to the head of HEWYBL and the head of the basketball division. I hope something like that never happends again. I'm thinking of switching him to PAL. I wish PAL wasn't so much more expensive than HEWYBL. Then I wouldn't have so much trouble switching him. We'll see when he gets to school who he becomes friends with and where they play. Maybe I'll switch him at that point.

We took R and J to see some shows this month. First we went to see Goldilocks and the 3 Bears at Kelsey Theatre at MCCC. That was the first time we had been there. It's a cute, small theatre and every seat is good so even though we were in the last row, it wasn't bad at all. The play itself was painful to watch. It was cute for the kids but excruciating for the parents. It was pretty bad.
The next show we took them to was Dora the Explorer. J loves Dora and I had gotten these tickets back in October of last year for the show at the War Memorial in Trenton. Well wouldn't you know it, February 12th was the day of the HUGE snowstorm that hit the East Coast. The show was at 11:00 and there was 12 inches of snow on the ground. They were not canceling the show. I went out early to check the roads and the visibility was ZERO. You couldn't see a thing. We went back and forth, himmed and hawed and then at 10:30 I went out to check again and the roads were eh but the visibility was good. So we went. Probably not the best idea. I'm sure I lost mother of the year for the umteenth time and it's only February but I'm used to driving in the snow, not at all nervous driving in the snow and we weren't going that far and taking major roads. Well both the Turnpike and 195 didn't look like it had even seen a plow. Anyway, we got there in one piece and the show was great. I was glad that we weren't the only bad parents that drove their kids there in the snow, it wasn't extremely full but there were a lot of people there.

The last show we did was I took R to see Junie B. Jones at Kelsey Theatre again. It was just him and I on a "date". He likes when we do that. He reads JBJ at school and likes reading the books at home that Grandma got him for Christmas. I was preparing myself for the same pain I went through last week when we saw Goldilocks. This show was put on by another company called Theatreworks and it was awesome. There was lots of singing and dancing and the cast was really good. R loved it and so did I.

A friend of mine told me about a camp called Eagle River Day Camp so we went to take a tour of it. We were trying to figure out what to do with R during the summer. Leave him in daycare for the summer or pull him out and send him to camp. We were leaning toward Twin Rivers day camp when we heard about Eagle River. Eagle River is twice as much money as leaving him at daycare or sending him to TR day camp but I think the experience he'll get from it is unmatched. The facility was nice, the directors are amazing and it's a brand new camp. It's also 5 minutes from my house. R will take the bus there but if anything happends, both my parents are very close so they could pick him up if need be. We looked at it this way, right now we have the means and the opportunity to send him there. Who knows what will happen a few years down the road. Also will we be able to afford sending 2 there? Who knows. So we bit the bullet and signed R up. He'll have a great summer and the future will bring what the future brings.

As for me, I have started coaching another Dale Carnegie class and I'd like to get more out of this one than I did coaching the last one. I am also going to coaches training in Bordentown at night. It's only 3 Tuesdays and we've done 2 already so it's not too bad. I'm learning a lot.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger jeanne_bean said...

Hey, watch what you say about the Kaleidoscope Theatre production of Goldilocks!! The guys who run KT are DH's uncle and his partner. We saw Rapunzel there with all the kids when A was a wee baby. The theater was great; we were high up, but it does seem like every seat has a great view of the stage.

I'd have had to have DH drive during the blizzard. You know what a wuss I am in the snow.

Too bad basketball wasn't so good this season. Makes you wonder who runs these programs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home